Sunday, April 5, 2009

Monsters...Shadows and Ninjas

What does a Monster, Shadow, Ninja, Bluebonnet and a Vineyard have in common? They are all part of a motorcycle ride to Chapel Hill Texas on Saturday April 4. This past Saturday, David rode his Ducati, Monster, Brad - his Honda Shadow, Richard - his Kawasaki Ninja and I rode my Suzuki GZ 250 to see the wildflowers along the Bluebonnet Trail. We followed the trail from Chapel Hill to Navasota, riding along route 1155. We are all from the Vineyard Church of Houston and looking for anyone from the church (and anyone we know) who would like to ride together periodically.

The Bluebonnets, Indian Paintbrush and Primrose are in their peak along these country roads. (I know you don't think Bluebonnets and motorcycles go together.) Let's just say we are nice riders like most people who own motorcycles. Anyway, what better way to see wildflowers, than from a motorcycle. And it was fun just being together for about 4 1/2 hours and 150 miles. This was the longest ride for me and Richard. Let me tell you by the time we got to Chapel Hill my left hand and butt were numb from the vibration of the bike.

We stopped for a short break and a little candy at the corner of 290 and 1155. On the way into the store we were admiring several Triumph motorcycles in the parking lot. On the way out of the store, the Triumph riders were standing around David's bike taking pictures. They thought it was the coolest thing they had ever seen. David has done a lot of customizing work. I should have a picture of David's bike here but none of us brought our cameras.

Our final stop on the trip was at a small Taqueria along Highway 6 in Navasota. Nothing like an enchilada and a Tamarind soda for the road.

The hardest part of the trip was the ride home. Winds between 20-30 miles an hour and a 250cc engine don't really do that well together. I have to tip my helmet to David and Brad. Their 750cc bikes could have flown home. But they waited with me and Richard as we worked hard to squeeze 60 miles/hour out of our low capacity engines. I think I need a bigger bike. Don't tell Donna I said that.

We made it back fine and of course feel like we gained much needed riding experience. I have only been riding for 6 months, although I have clocked 2500 miles during that time.

Stayed tuned for our next trip in about a month.

1 comment:

Richard said...

Ha, I just noticed this. Looks like your dream of a bigger bike came true :).